Friday, April 20, 2012

Why Doesn't Amy Want To Be My Internet Friend?

I am a (somewhat) early adopter of new social media. I joined Facebook back when you still had to have a college email address, I've been on Twitter forever and I started using Pinterest last summer when there was no one interesting to follow. 

Most of my close friends (like all four of them) are not so enthusiastic about social media and I totally understand. When Facebook was new and shiny and called The Facebook, none of my close friends from home were on it. Scattered at colleges throughout the country during our senior year, I had to settle for stalking them via AIM. Post-college, they still didn't join. It was only years later, when it was not nearly as exciting or fun did my real life friends start joining the world of social networking.


It was February 2009 when Amy finally joined the modern world and got herself a Facebook profile. 


Being Amy, she immediately had about 372 friends. Oddly enough, I was not one of those friends. Amy didn't want to be my internet friend! When asked about this Amy said she, "couldn't find," my profile. Clearly, this was a lie. We have many internet friends in common. Amy just didn't want to be my internet friend.  


More recently, I have been telling Amy about Pinterest and how much she will love it. For months now I've been explaining pinning to her and using it as a recipe source (Amy loves recipes!). I have sent her several invitations. Amy never used these invitations, thinking pinning would be too big a distraction from schoolwork. Today, Pinterest suggested I start following her! Amy secretly joined Pinterest, and not only didn't she tell me, 
she didn't even follow me! Even though we're friends in real life, Amy doesn't want to be my internet friend and I can't figure out why. 

Maybe because I write about all the lies she tells me and put it on the internet? 


That can't possibly be it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment